Posts tagged mergers
A Buyout for Shopline, Hungary’s Amazon
July 5, 2013 | 12:06 pm
Hungarian online retail site Shopline.hu, the Central European country's local equivalent to Amazon and operator of online book sales platform Bookline.hu, which also has its own e-book operation, is currently the subject of a takeover bid by investment fund SQ-Invest, which owns Libri, one of Hungary's largest bricks-and-mortar bookstore chains. If the deal gets regulatory approval, it will create a Hungarian book trade giant, with print and digital arms. According to Shopline's Budapest Stock Exchange information page... "at present, nearly 80% of its turnover comes from the sale of new books, while the sale of used books accounts for the remaining 20%. The...
Penguin Random House publishing merger: All your books are belong to us
July 1, 2013 | 1:01 pm
The Big Six today officially became the Big Five, with the formal announcement that UK publishing giant Pearson PLC and German media conglomerate Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA have completed the JV merger of Penguin and Random House, to create ... wait for it ... Penguin Random House. The Pearson release declares that this: "will be the first truly global publishing company with operations in the US, Canada, UK, India, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Chile." According to the Bertelsmann release, "Penguin Random House will employ more than 10,000 people worldwide across almost 250 imprints, and...
Rumor: Microsoft Considering Buying Nook Media
May 9, 2013 | 10:15 am
TechCruch had a story on this yesterday. They have obtained some internal documents discussing the proposed deal, with Microsoft reportedly offering $1 billion for Nook Media. I agree with Nate over at The Digital Reader that this sounds plausible. Microsoft has been working with Barnes & Noble since April of last year on Nook devices and content. Last year, they offered $300 million, much of which was aimed at developing content for Windows 8 devices. There was even speculation at the time that the next Nook would be Windows powered. Obviously that hasn't happened, and now it looks unlikely. Apparently the documents...