Roundup of Today’s Apple iBooks 2 News and Announcements
January 19, 2012 | 3:34 pm
Very Impressive Live Coverage of Apple Event from The Verge (each post with an image).
- New: iBooks 2 for Education (iPad)
- Apple’s iBooks Textbooks for the iPage Homepage (with Video)
- Official News Release
- Download AppNote: Apple is Making a Preview Release of E. O. Wilson’s Life on Earth. Free. Download here.
- What’s New With Books 2 App? (via the App Store)
- Experience gorgeous Multi-Touch textbooks designed for iPad
- iBooks textbooks are filled with interactive features, diagrams, photos, and videos
- Tap to dive into images with interactive captions, rotate 3D objects, swipe through image galleries, watch videos in full screen, and more
- Use a finger as a highlighter when swiping over text in a textboot
- Take advantage of Study Cards to help you memorize important highlights, notes, and glossary terms
- Tap glossary terms to see definitions of key topics and concepts without leaving the pageThe iBookstore offers textbooks on Algebra, Biology, Chemistry, Geometry, and Physics from McGraw-Hill and Pearson.
- These textbooks are currently available to customers in the United States. Textbooks from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt are coming soon.
- New App: iBooks Author (Free, iPad)
Create your own textbooks
- A New Category “Textbooks” Now the iBooks Bookstore. Books cost $14.99 or less (As of today, there are only seven textbooks for $14.99 each as well as free download of Life on Earth.
- “The books range in size from about 750MB to nearly 3GB for the Biology textbook — a full set would take up most of a 16GB iPad’s storage.” (via The Verge)
- Apple has been working with Pearson, McGraw Hill, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, E.O. Wilson, Biodiversity Foundation, and DK Publishing
Demos and Coverage
- Video: Apple iBooks 2 Textbook Hands-On (via Engadget)
- iBooks Author Hands-On (via The Verge)
- Everything you need to know about publishing and distribution for iBooks Author (via 9 to 5Mac)
- Books 2 showcased with preview of E.O. Wilson biology textbook (via TUAW)
- News Release: McGraw-Hill to Deliver High School Curricula with Apple’s iBooks Textbooks
- Opinion: Why Apple Won’t Disrupt the Textbook Industry Anytime Soon (via RWW)
- Viewpoint: Pearson on the rise of ‘engaging’ e-textbooks (via BBC)